The whats, whys, and wherefores of Bikram yoga challenges
Posted on September 15, 2013
Leave a Comment
Why consecutive days?
There are different “challenge lengths” in Bikram yoga. Here is a break out of how each one helps and heals your body…
- 30-Days: A readjustment period… You’re getting your body primed for an on-going practice. Just getting through a 30 consecutive day challenge is a difficult for most people. It can be difficult to mentally commit yourself to going to class for 30 consecutive days.
- 60-Days: In the 60-day challenge, the second 30 days are where you get to the “emotional stuff.” While you experience the mental exhaustion “here and there” in the first set of 30 days, you experience it far more frequently in the second set. Anger. Tears. Hysterical laughter. It all comes out here… Both in and out of class.
- 90-Days: This is when your body suddenly (or so people claim) changes shape. You will notice in the 30 and 60-day challenges that muscles and body parts tighten up. But the third set of 30 is when you start to see the yoga practice pay off physically in your body. You’ve been feeling it up until this point… But now you can actually see it. You can see your “yoga bum” starting to take shape.
- 100-Days: Ten extra days, just to make things a nice big number…
- 101-Days: Because you just have to show up for one extra day.
- …and so on and so on and so on…the challenge record in the Philadelphia area is 1,001 days (James Pfeffer). A couple of years ago, Megan van Riet completed more than 200 days in a row. She didn’t stop; she lost track of her stickers.
Rules of the challenge…
- The purpose is to go to class every day, for a pre-defined number of consecutive days. So try to commit time to it every day. However…
- Doubles count. So do triples, which are not encouraged!… But the point is to go every day consecutively… So try to only do multiple classes in one day if you really need to.
- No home practice. You must practice in a studio. A certified Bikram studio.
- Bikram’s Advanced Series classes count. But, they count as one class.
- Challenge starts on October 1st.
- Sign up today and have fun!
Who can participate?
Heck! Anyone! Young, old… Sick, healthy… Employed, unemployed, fun-employed… Long-time practitioners… Even those who have never even done a yoga class before in their life! All are welcome! All are encouraged!
What are the benefits?
- Reshapes your body.
- Tones and strengthens your muscles.
- Increases balance and coordination.
- Stimulates an adjustment of your metabolism. (Need to lose weight, this will help. Need to gain weight, this will help.)
- Reduces stress.
- Flushes the toxins from your body.
- Clears your mind.
- Improves the nervous system.
- Strengthens self-control.
So, are you ready to hit the hot room and heal your body, your mind your life? Join us! The epic journey starts October 1st!
Call Megan at (610) 952-7609 to sign up. Or register at the front desk.
Many thanks to Bikram Yoga 101 for content contributions!